Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Getting Started


While I was waiting for the cleaning crew to finish up in my classroom last week, I did some planning. I took pictures of each wall after the room was cleared out. I then printed the pictures on computer paper, and used them to plan my bulletin boards and wall space.


My room was all ready to go last Wednesday already! I spent about 2 hours last week, and 6 hours today at school. The first thing I did was put all of the furniture back exactly how I wanted it. This is where my craziness comes out a bit. You know how it's really annoying when your students' desks or tables shift during the school day? During the summer, right when the cleaning crew is finished in my classroom, I like to put my tables exactly where I want them during the school year. That way they have 2+ months to make a little dent in the carpet. During the school year, they barely shift, and when they do, they always fall right back into their little dents.

Next, I began putting some things out on the shelves, such as my classroom library bins. Due to the fact that I don't have any "working corners" (every corner is taken up by either built-in cabinets, counters, or the door), I had to place all of my classroom library book cases along one wall. I love seeing cute, cozy library corners, so this is a bit of a bummer. :( Here is a peak at my classroom library so far (I am going to re-do the labels this summer):


My big project today was organizing my teacher desk materials. As mentioned in a previous post, I decided to get rid of my teacher desk. I decided to make a teacher toolbox for my office supplies. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, search "teacher toolbox" on Pinterest.) I still have to cover the drawers in scrapbook paper and add labels, but this is what it looks like so far:


I also needed something to hold papers that need to be filed, and books/resources that I use frequently. I found the PERFECT solution in a closet of old, unused materials (it needs a good coat of spray paint):


Next, I organized the rest of my desk items that would not fit in the teacher toolbox:


Here is my finished "teacher desk" area:


I am LOVING my room without a desk so far! It freed up so much space, and it really forced me to get organized. I never realized how much "junk" was shoved in my desk drawers.

Here is what my room looked like at the end of the day today:




(Note: It drives me crazy that the SMART board is not centered in the middle of the room!)

Time spent working on room last week & today: 8 hours
Cumulative hours: 28.5

6 comments:

  1. Lovin' your room! It looks fantastic!

    Where did you find the aqua pocket charts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I purchased the pocket charts at Target in the dollar spot about 7 years ago. I know that Target usually sells them each year, starting sometime in July. Unfortunately, they have become smaller and lower-quality over the years. :(

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    I also hate the shifting of the desks! I zip tie mine together, that way if one kid wants to move, all six have to move. I don't have ANY desks move - all year! I love your small bookshelves at the end of each group of desks. I do the same thing. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! You're quite the organizer! :) Maybe I should hire you to come and do my classroom. You can start an Interior Decorating business for teachers! ;)

    I, too, am moving into a new room (my old room was a portable - yuck!) so I'm excited about re-doing my walls, etc. :)

    I'll keep your blog bookmarked. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proper storage and shelving facilities are always important for an organization to keep their products in an organized way. For this, they should make use of the best quality lockers which not only provide convenience to the employees but also give additional security. In schools, they are very important as students cannot carry their entire bag with them when they are working out in a gym or carry the whole bag filled with books from one class to another. Lockers give students the convenience to have every important thing around and yet not carry much in their hand. Besides lockers, one can also purchase l DigitalBuyer https://www.linkedin.com/in/digitalbuyer is an office products retailer specializing in fireproof file cabinets & safes, office furniture, industrial materials handling, office equipment, and commercial products. Locker stands online at best prices. These stands allow in easy and effective cleaning under the lockers. DigitalBuyer is an office products retailer specializing in fireproof file cabinets & safes, office furniture, industrial materials handling, office equipment, and commercial products. They maintain wide range on lockers for school also of different brands, best quality, and affordable price such as.
    • Single Tier Steel Lockers: are the most popular general purpose locker for locations that need to securely store coats and clothing.
    • Double Tier Steel Lockers: feature two openings per locker, allowing twice as many lockers in the same space while providing plenty of storage space.
    • Triple Tier Steel Lockers: feature three openings per locker, allowing three times as many individual lockers in the same space while providing plenty of storage space.
    • Air Ventilated Steel Lockers: are designed with ventilation slots to ensure continuous airflow from all sides of the locker. This reduces the opportunity for odor causing-bacteria to grow and thrive in damp environments.
    • Cube Metal Lockers: are ideal for securely storing smaller items like purses, lunches and books. Efficient configurations give the necessary storage needed without taking up valuable floor space.

    ReplyDelete